Sunday, February 3, 2013

  2012 was tough on my body. I ran more miles than I thought possible. Found a running group that pushed me far beyond what I thought I could do. I had to deal with injury and illness. I ran countless miles after sleepless nights. Lost toe nail after toe nail....loved every mile.
  As I inch towards my 45th birthday I can't help but smile as I think about 2013. In my everlasting quest to stay young I have set some lofty goals for myself. In the next few months I am going fly to a random city to participate in a GoRuck Challenge. Memorial Day Weekend brings Carry The Load. GoRuck Selection in late summer and wrap up the year with another Dallas Marathon. Toss in a number of shorter races around Dallas and it will be a busy year.
  New to me will be the two GoRuck events. GoRuck is a pack/gear company started my a former Army Ranger. The GoRuck Challenge began with a group of his friends putting the backpacks through a "stateside" test to see if they would hold up under real-life combat abuse. From there it morphed into a series of events held across the Country designed to push participants way past their comfort zones. the Challenge lasts 12+ hours, Selection 48+hours. Check out www.goruck.com. 
  Carry the Load is a repeat from last year. Held over Memorial Day weekend, It is a fundraiser for several Military/Law Enforcement/Firefighter based charities. Started by former Navy Seal Clint Bruce, his goal is to bring meaning to Memorial Day by honoring the sacrifices made by members of the military, law enforcement officers, firefighters and their families while serving our country and communities. Last year I managed to run 56 miles with a 30lb pack on my back before my blistered feet gave out. This year I hope to make it 80 miles, with the same 30lb pack. Check out  www.carrytheload.org and make a donation in my name to help me meet my fundraising goal.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment